Monday, July 19, 2010

Nothing but Flowers


Friday night, the crew at Bilenky Cycle Works squeezed into my small Jetta for a mini road trip to the Trexlertown Velodrome for some good old fashion track racing. When I lived in California, I spent at least 2-3 nights per week at the Hellyer Velodrome and even attempted some racing of my own (albeit with embarassing results). I absolutely love being at the track. I love watching the riders load in from the parking lot multiple wheel bags in hand, the strange sound of a disc wheels cutting through the air, the mind tricks and strategy involved in the points races or miss-n-outs. I even love the inevitably cheesy commentating by the announcer.


Yesterday was pretty mellow. Lots of cleaning up our apartment, which falls into a state of disarray easier than I'd like to acknowledge. One of the motivating forces to clean up (other than, y'know having a nice looking place) is that when I finally hang up all my clothes, I'm reminded of all the pieces I forgot I owned. I have enough clothes that I can stretch out doing laundry for at least a month which consequently leads to not seeing some items for weeks on end. It's a terrible habit, I know, but at least I'm being resourceful and not wasting any clothes.


We needed a break from the cleaning, so we headed to window shop at Ikea. This is a very dangerous idea, of course, because we want nearly everything in the store, but we managed to curb our spending urges to only a handful of items for $35. We picked up a desk, 2 coffee mugs, a travel mug, magazine holders, and a giant rug in the "as is" section for $5! On the way home, we stopped at a new park to snap some pictures. I keep finding all these great parks in Philadelphia I never explored before. I used to pass this one every day on the way into work at an old job, but I never had the time to stop. It was actually pretty cute. Lots of cute dogs and random sculptures and an empty playground that allowed me to climb on the jungle gym without the leering looks of weirded out moms.

When I was getting dressed today, I asked Ray, "does this outfit look ok?". He responded, "yeah, but there's...you know, a lot of flowers". Well, yeah. That's the idea!

This is one of my favorite tops, though I hardly ever wear it. I picked it up from a local thrift store for under $2.00 and it's perfect for summer. It's super sheer and light, and has some interesting bunching going on. It most likely belonged to someone's grandmother prior to my purchase, but I think when paired with the cutoffs and sneakers, it breathes in new life, perfectly acceptable for an afternoon spent at the playground.


Top: thrifted (Ameican Thrift- Philadelphia, PA)
DIY Cutoffs: Abercrombie & Fitch, gift
Belt: vintage (Sweet Jane- Philadelphia, PA)
Shoes: H&M
Sunglasses: flea market (The Piazza- Philadelphia, PA) 


2 comments:

  1. My husband I can never just window shop at ikea either ;) I like your shorts, you're beautiful. My names Kate, I'm a new follower :)

    http://katefrussell.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. smoke crack and worship satan, interesting advice. like the outfit.

    ReplyDelete